Friday, September 29, 2006

Chichidodo the bird..



`` The chichidodo is a bird who hates excrement with all its soul. But the chichidodo only feeds on maggots, and you know the maggots grow best inside the lavatory. This is the chichidodo.'' - Ayi Kwei Armah

I’m reading Ayi’s novel at the moment, translated into bahasa by Zainab Ahmad. The book that makes you think deep every time you spend your money. He’s a legendary African writer, telling story as it is, with exceptional talent in describing the uglier side of human being. ‘Yang Indah Belum Menjelma’, a story about Ghana politics and its people after the independent, same year as Malaysia. Reality sucks as usual with massive gap between the rich and poor mainly a result of corruption the typical scenario, where money rules, be it legal or even obtained the politician way.

Few days back, some jokers published the findings about Malaysian smokers, and they didn't manage to shock me with that stat. RM 90 million every month, which is a lot of money, just imagine the government earning through tax on cigarette every month. They could have built one hospital-desa every month with the taxpayer money, but where does the money goes? Do not asked, coz if you concern so much about that, you’re the ‘chichidodo’.

Ramadhan this year is all about fasting and praying, no more food craving like previous years. Two reason for that, my mom and my money. Seeing my supermak on that bed reminds me of her ‘kuih-muih’ which by far exceeded the ‘locar pasar malam’ standard, to me that is. With inflation rate rising, my money is just too small to the pasar Ramadhan hawkers, furthermore my waistline is just beyond the ideal waistline for Malaysian man.

I do hope this year none of my filthy-rich friends would suggest a re-union at one of those 5 stars hotel. RM59.90 per-person will tally to more than 120++ for me and my wife, with that we can buy 2 chickens of 2.5 kilos each, a kilo of imported meat (try the Aron Halal Product Meat), some fish, 2kg of cooking oil, one large sun-quick juice with ice cubes from Petronas Mesra Shop, with some white rice and also black rice for ‘bubur pulut hitam’. I would say ten people the least we can serve with that menu. But if you do have extra money, you can always carry on with the hotel plan, it’s good to enjoy the quality of life.

Politics, getting bored reading the same news everyday, why can’t they share? It will be enough if we can share the wealth of this nation. Stop dreaming of being millionaire at 30 or 40, can’t we be happy without million or billionaire around. We do need to re-visit the oxford dictionary for the definition of indulgence; it can be as bad as evil or immoral.

Happy Ramadhan, is that correct? Anyway do have a nice Ramadhan. Salam’s to everyone who read this ugly blog.


Add to Blink Add to Furl Add the post to Technorati Favourites Add to Simpy Add to Spurl Add to Yahoo MyWeb Add to del.icio.us Add to Digg It Social bookmark this!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are u sure your waist line is "Just" beyond the ideal waistline for Malaysian man? i dont think so my friend...i think its far beyond that..anyway nice writeup thought..but remember be real..i've seen u before..u like to wear those tight t-shirt or should i say "sarongcempedak" but its alrite u look cool man

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way u can just call me "The Maajun Man"

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up man! Even cannot be a millionaire, you still can be a great ‘chichidodo’. By the way what is ‘chichidodo’ really?

8:47 AM  
Blogger Shahrul Azmi said...

luckily it was anynomous, if not I'll be hunting those who reveal the true secret of my waistline... Yes it is far beyond the ideal, but a bit down during Ramadhan, That sarongcempedak is the new trick I learn, It'll somehow squeeze the flabby things....

A chichidodo, I would say someone who try live by his principal of honesty but some how sucks into the rality of life... the norm.... which can be so corrupt, just for him/her to survive

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah. Getting more matured and thinking of national problems instead of personal problems. We do need blogs like these, not to oppose the ruling government, but perhaps to enlighten the people a bit. Those "head-nodders", "suckers" and "jaga-periuk-nasi-sendri" need to open up and make positive changes, if we were to be a developed nation by 2020. Before we change the country, lets change our mindsets. Am i right, Shahrul?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Shahrul Azmi said...

It is so hard to change the whole corrupted mind but let us together start small, give-up, never will hopefully..

Kakiracingharam,

I would offer the invitation(hotel buffet) to someone else, for now of course...
Next week maybe the high time for berbuka puasa at my place and a pot luck should be the popular choice...

Anyway kakiracing can now mingle with the most talented kid in town, mr K with the big J himself...

8:04 PM  
Blogger datok.k said...

hallo chichidodo's masta, anonymous has identified him/herself as The Maajun Man.. maybe that will give u some clue... :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Riz Ainuddin said...

Same here bro. This year Ramadan for me is all about getting myself 'sorted-out', knowimsaying. You know my apetite rite, this year, I don't eat at all..literally. Buka puasa time jer, normally I would pile my food like a mountain and goble it down like there's no tomorrow, this year, I only eat like 2 spoonful equilavent of rice on my plate with just enough 'lauk'.

Had enough of buffets in hotels really, it's good to once a while enjoy it with the family. Look at it from a different perpective, yeah, you can feed at least 10 people.

Selamat Berpuasa to you and all readers!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home